Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Shingles


About a week ago, I started developing a "rash" on my back. I didn't think much of it until it started to spread, itch and hurt. I went to my OB and showed him a patch of the rash. At that time, he said it was excema, prescribed a topical steroid and sent me on my way. That night, I was miserable. I itched and hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep. I also noticed that the rash had spread all the way across the left side of my back and onto my left breast. While I dealt with insomnia, I researched rashes and self-diagnosed. The next day, I called my OB office and said I thought my rash was actually shingles (herpes zoster). After going back into the office (and showing the PA my entire back), shingles was confirmed. Ugh.
-
For those of you who have experienced shingles, I am sorry. For those of you who haven't, I hope you never have to. Shingles is only contageous to people who have not had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine. Since I am playing single mom a lot these days, we are very thankful that Avery was vaccinated in July.
-
Currently, Luke is on his way home from the Kansas City airport and Avery is out playing with Grandma Robin. It is nice to have some time to rest and relax. Luke and I are so lucky that our parents are so willing to help when we need it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I had shingles last fall ... NOT fun. Kind of a double wammy having them when you're pregnant.

I don't know how you are managing the single mom stuff. Steve has been in Iowa for 4 days and I feel like I'm about ready to lose it. Since having Sara, I've gained such an appreciation for full-time single moms ... can't be easy. Hope you get some quality time with Luke before he has to leave again!