Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 22, 2010

It's A Boy!

On Saturday, November 20, 2010, Luke, Avery and I welcomed Logan Newton Musselman into our family. He was born at 4:47 am, weighed in at a healthy 7 lbs, 9 oz and measured 21 inches. Aside from the distinct size difference, he looks a lot like his sister did when she was born. He is absolutely perfect.



Although we had my induction scheduled two days later, Logan decided to arrive early and fulfill mama's desire to naturally go into labor. On Friday night, after Avery went to bed, Luke and I decided to sit on the couch, eat cake and watch some shows from our DVR. While we watched the shows, I had frequent contractions. Luke timed them and they were pretty close together, but not consistent enough or strong enough to convince me that I was in labor. Later, while lying in bed, I felt a really strange kick and immediately commented about how uncomfortable that particular kick was. About three seconds later, I jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom and said, "I don't think that was a kick. I think my water just broke." Luke quickly jumped into panic mode and I was in denial. You see, we weren't quite ready for Mr. Logan to arrive and had a family weekend planned for Avery. I told Luke I thought I would be ok and maybe it wasn't my water. He disagreed and immediately started making phone calls. We needed to call our parents and find someone to sit at the house with Avery until our parents could get here. Luckily, my friend, Adonica, was able to come to the house. Thank you! As Luke and I headed to the hospital, he desperately wanted to run all the red lights so he would get pulled over and could proclaim, "My wife is in labor!" I wouldn't let him. Once we got to the hospital, I was in full labor and VERY uncomfortable. I couldn't get my epidural soon enough. Unfortunately, I had to get a full bag of IV fluids before the epidural could happen and three of us checked in at the same time with one anesthesiologist on call. I was not a happy camper. Once I finally got my epidural, labor and delivery were easy. I progressed very quickly, pushed for less than fifteen minutes and baby Logan was born.
-
Before Logan was born, we had not finalized a name. We had a girl name picked out, but had only narrowed our boy list to three. We actually surveyed all the hospital staff that entered our room during labor and delivery. In the end, there was no overwhelming favorite so Luke and I had to make the decision by ourselves. The name, Logan, was the only name that had been on our list from the beginning so we stuck with it. We chose Newton as the middle name after Luke's grandfather. When we initially discussed boy names, Luke had no interest in having a junior or using his name at all, but he was very passionate about using his grandfather's name.


We are now home from the hospital. Avery is confused, but doing pretty well. She has had a few meltdowns during feedings, but is adjusting to her new brother. Logan and I had a long first night. He is a lazy eater and falls asleep, but wants to eat every hour or so. He loves to cuddle and I can't stop holding and staring at my sweet baby boy.

2 comments:

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Congratulations!! Logan looks like a perfect little boy. So excited for your family. Enjoy, and keep the pics coming (you know, in all your free time!)